Building on the knowledge and foundation of similar initiatives that link health, well being and nature, KidActive is contributing to the Healthy by Nature Forum.
Healthy by Nature took place in Vancouver, September 20 to 23, 2011. The multi sector forum shared research, evidence based models which integrated nature and health, insight and international expertise. It paved the way for collective action which recognizes that people and communities that engage with nature are healthier, stronger and more sustainable - economically, socially and environmentally.
This interdisciplinary forum focused on awareness building, partnership development, and action planning based on these principles:
- Spending time in nature improves human health.
- Human health depends on healthy ecosystems.
- Parks and protected areas contribute to vibrant, healthy communities.
The Healthy by Nature forum brought together a diverse group of professionals from across Canada, the North-western United States and around the world. Partnerships included institutions and organizations from five different sectors:
- Physical and mental health
- Health promotion and population health
- Community development and urban planning
- Parks and recreation management